- Business, Operations, TPM
- 244 (Registered)
Chapter 5 of TPM Instructor Course.
Autonomous Maintenance (AM) aims to create a scenario where all operators look after their equipment, carrying out routine checks, oiling and greasing, replacing parts, doing simple repairs, spotting problems early, checking precision, and so on.
This chapter will describe the TPM methodology and activities of AM pillar as well as the seven steps to AM and how they work:
- “Correction is perfection” (reversing deterioration and making improvements brings good results)
- “Perfection is satisfaction” (getting good results gives a feeling of accomplishment)
- “Satisfaction is further action” (a feeling of accomplishment makes people want to achieve even more).
Upon completing the course with a 75% score or higher on the final quiz, the “Autonomous Maintenance Facilitator” certificate will be generated and can be purchased, link here. It can be downloaded and shared on your social media profile. Please refer to this forum’s post to get help adding a certificate to your LinkedIn profile.
Next chapter – Planned (Effective) Maintenance
Autonomous Maintenance: the Basic Approach
- Step 0: Preparation
- Step 1: Initial Cleaning (Checking through Cleaning)
- Step 2: Tackling Contamination Sources and Hard-to-Access Areas
- Step 3: Provisional Autonomous Maintenance Standards
- Step 4: General Inspection
- Step 5: Autonomous Checking
- Development of standards during Steps 4-5
- Step 6: Standardization
- Step 7: Full Self-Management
- Specific schemes for developing Autonomous Maintenance
- Different approaches for different equipment configurations
The Keys to a Successful Rollout
- Ensure that everyone is fully trained in TPM implementation, and that the different departments are pulling together
- Organize teams at every level
- Autonomous Maintenance needs hands-on management
- Demonstrate everything on a pilot machine first
- Take it one step at a time
- Review every step
- Use relay teaching
- Let people experience success
- Include Focused Improvements in team activities
- Let people make their own rules
- Handle requests for maintenance work promptly
- Use activity boards effectively
- Hold regular meetings
- Be thorough
Reviewing the Autonomous Maintenance Steps
Autonomous MaintenanceAutonomous Maintenance (AM) aims to create a scenario where all operators look after their own equipment, carrying out routine checks, oiling and greasing, replacing parts, doing simple repairs, spotting problems at an early stage, checking precision and so on.